Friday 20 February 2015

The Courage To Face Fear.

Since the hair was coming out in rather unattractive clumps, and quite frankly making a mess of the ward, it simply had to go! Stacey, one of the lovely nurses, very kindly attacked the last of what was left on my head into a nice punk look before shaving it all off for me! It was quite liberating to say the least! I'm just so thankful for Lottie and her amazing head gear she got me! You don't realise how warm your hair keeps your head until it's all gone! It really is quite bizarre! 



All gone!

I have my wig appointment booked in a couple of weeks too - which I am rather excited about! The amazing charity, the Little Princess Trust are able to fund it, and incredibly I'm going to be able to get a human hair one that I can choose the colour and length of, and get styled personally to exactly how I would like it. Yay!!

I received the following picture from my lovely Dad yesterday too, which I thought would amuse everyone! The caption I received to go with the picture was: "Flo wanted hedgehog to look like you!" Least we are all able to see the funny side about all this, it did make me laugh a lot! :D



The remnants of Flo's hedgehog toy - apparently destroyed to resemble me :P

I had the lovely Ellie and Alice visit on Tuesday, and we had a pretty good game of Settlers of Catan with Phil too - turns out he was listening how to play the other week after all - cheeky! And we discovered that it appears on the Big Bang Theory too - this game is slowly taking over the world I swear...I'm blaming Ellie :P 

Alice got me the sweetest gift as well bless her - a Lokai bracelet, which has the most beautiful meaning behind it. There is a black bead to remind you to stay hopeful, it holds mud from The Dead Sea, the lowest point on Earth, signifying the difficult moments you experience throughout life. And there is a white bead to remind you to stay humble that carries water from Mount Everest, the highest point on Earth to represent life's highest moments. I honestly don't know where she finds these things (Instagram I think ;) ) but it is just so beautiful. So, thank you so much my lovely!

Yesterday, in case people missed too was Chinese New Year, and I have to say the biggest of thank you's to the kitchen staff up here at the Royal Marsden Teenage Cancer Trust Ward! They put on an absolutely amazing Chinese buffet for us with spring rolls, prawn crackers, chicken chow mien and sweet and sour chicken and rice! All very much at the last minute, and it was absolutely incredible! We had it in the 'Chill Out' room and it was so nice as it got all the inpatients out and together with their families - it was a real boost for everyone! There was so much food the nurses joined us too! It really was fantastic! Phil and Ellie were up yesterday also but with their own excessive amount of Chinese take away :P which was lovely! We had a good catch up and watched the rubbish that was Eastenders - all very exciting up until the massive anticlimax at the end! Anyone else feeling a bit hard done by with that storyline?! Just seemed utterly ridiculous!

Anyway, Friday today, which is new cannula and chemo day! Amazingly I still have the one in from last week still - shock, horror! The consultant should be around today too, to hopefully let me know what the plan is for the next week or so, since Thursday I have my bone marrow aspirates etc. and then I MAY be able to go home!! My bloods are looking good at the moment too, my neutrophil count yesterday was above 0.5 (the limit that I have to be above to go home on when I do get discharged eventually) and my platelets amazingly were within a normal limit at 272 (they had been as low as 18 at one point), which means my bone marrow is actually working again! I still don't know what's going to be in store for the consolidation phase (if I am able to go into that phase that is, as it does depend on my bone marrow results), however, I should find out what the options are likely to be very soon. There's also a bit of discussion going on as to whether I'm going to be continued on Vincristine, since the numbness in my fingers could be persistent and there's talk of changing to Vinblastine instead, but it's up to the consultant so I should find out what's occurring with that today too! Ooo it's all go! :)

xxxx




No comments:

Post a Comment